Monday, August 17, 2009

Bakersfield Walking Camp

Though it is called the Bakersfield Running Camp, all my athletes do walk in workouts and especially in races lasting over a hour. Over the years, I have found that walking breaks at regular intervals from the start help one run faster and recover quicker. In longer races this is especially true.

Many of my athletes are new runners and they are walking a minute and running a minute and covering distances, they did not think they could cover. Others run longer but still take minute walking breaks.

Having said all of that, nothing beats walking briskly. It is easier on your legs (less pounding) and you use your arms a lot more. I myself walk a lot and my walking is only a minute or two per mile slower then my running. So if you want to improve your walking and/or train for a longer events, please join my camp.

In the camp, I will work with you on improving your technique, which in turn will help you go faster and longer. On Tuesdays and Thursdays we will work on pacing and do some speed work. On Saturdays, we will do long walks that will prepare you for day hikes and races up to half marathons. If you are interested in walking a marathon, I have experience in training for and walking them as well.

Included with membership in my camp, is my advise on what races are good for walkers and help with day hikes such as Half Dome and Mt Whitney. If you would like more information, please write me at andynoise@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment